Can a power of attorney be held responsible for debts of the principle?

Asked over 5 years ago - Lake George, NY

I am POA for my mother. She has outstanding credit card debt

1. Rudolf J. Karvay

Answered . Simply because you are your mother's attorney-in-fact does not make you liable for her debts.

2. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . The grantor may revoke the power of attorney by telling the attorney-in-fact it is revoked. POA does not make you liable for grantor's debts.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an atttorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.
    This answer was helpful This answer did not help me