Skip to main content

Can a potential employer require a job applicant to pay for fingerprinting/background check expense upfront?

Lancaster, CA |

Can a potential employer require a job applicant to pay for fingerprinting/background check expense upfront as part of the application process, even if ultimately not hired?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    No, but on a practical level, what are you going to do about it? Refuse to pay and you likely are not hired and all you are left with is a legal claim that is of questionable value.

    If you really want to push the issue, I suggest you locate and consult with an experienced employment law attorney as soon as possible to explore your facts and determine your options. I would suggest you look either on this site in the Find a Lawyer section, or go to, the home page for the California Employment Lawyers Association, an organization whose members are dedicated to the representation of employees against their employers.

    Good luck to you.

    This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

  2. Probably not. Under Labor Code 2800 and 2802, an employer is required to indemnify employees for em

  3. No; consult an employment attorney who handles class actions. If you are not the only one who is being charged, there may be potential claim for many more applicants who each had to pay $50. Most will offer a free consultation so don't be afraid to ask for one.

    Any post of discussion above is general in nature and is not intended to and should not be construed as legal advice. Furthermore, the above posting does not create or establish any attorney-client relationship. Contact an attorney as soon as possible to discuss your legal options. [John D. Wu is licensed to practice law before all California federal and state courts]

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics