Can a post OPT student volunteer for a non E-verified employer during OPT period and still qualify for STEM extension?

Atlanta, GA |

I have a degree in computer engineering degree. I have 10 days remaining before my 90 days of unemployment period ends. I have accepted an offer from an E-Verified company but the process to get me on board is taking a long time, and it will be past my 90 days of unemployment. Therefore I would like to volunteer for a company which is non E-verified for few weeks to extend my 90 days of unemployment.

I want to know do I qualify for STEM extension since I am working with a non E verified employer for first few weeks during my 12 month OPT period?

What did the E-verifiable company's immigration lawyer say when you asked him/her?

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

E verified is not required for OPT, only STEM. You can qualify for STEM with unpaid internship. Who you REALLY need to talk to is your DSO.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Recommended articles about Employment