Can a polygraph test be used in court in the State of Ohio?

Asked over 2 years ago - New Philadelphia, OH

A state highway patrolman came through mcdonalds drive thru and ended up with a hair in his sandwhich I took a polygraph test and it said i lied on 3 of the 10 questions and all of the questions had to deal with the same thing shouldnt and of the questions said I lied.

1. Matthew Charles Bangerter

Pro

3

Answered . No, the results of a polygraph are generally not admissible in court in Ohio. However, I would still recommend talking with an attorney before saying anything else to the police, with or without a polygraph.

Matthew C. Bangerter
    @BangerterLaw

2. Robert Anthony Herking

Answered . No.

3. David Keith Greer

Answered . No. But sometimes, in a shaky case without corroboration, the prosecutor will offer a dismissal in exchange for a passed polygraph; conversely, the results will be admitted if the defendant or suspect fails the test. Needless to say, this is a very risky choice and most lawyers will advise you to decline the offer. In your case, you already took the polygraph. Without a prior stipulation though, the results saying you allegedly lied can't be admitted.