Can a policeman pose as a civilian and help a sting for traffic violations

Asked almost 2 years ago - Salina, KS

I was driving there was man at a corner posing as a pedestrian calling officers over the radio reporting drivers with no seat belts I pulled into a restaurant and was out of my vehicle on my way in when a officer pulled up and issued me a ticket

1. Blake Alan Robinson

1

Answered . Though it's a little scummy in my opinion, there's nothing illegal about the way they are monitoring for seat belt violations. You might seek a second opinion from an attorney that is more familiar with Salina City Ordinances.

www.manhattanksattorney.com

2. Patrick Michael Lewis

Pro

1

Answered . Yes, they can do that. An officer has the same right to stand on a corner that anyone else has. If he sees a violation of the law he can tell other police about it. It is not entrapment because the officer did nothing to convince the drivers to commit a crime.

3. Robert C. Gigstad

Answered . Yes, unfortunately they run operations like this all over. They try to generate as much revenue as possible!