Can a police officer impersonate you by using your phone and text messaging someone

Mount Juliet, TN |

a police officer confiscated my friends phone and text messaged our mutual friend looking for them and asking them questions. is it legal for the police to confiscate your phone and impersonate the persons whos phone it is looking for someone or is this entrapment?

1. It depends on why the police confiscated the phone and whether there was probable cause to believe that a crime had been committed or that you were hiding a fugitive.

Post this under criminal law and you will get a more detailed response from the criminal lawyers.

[I am a Virginia-licensed attorney. This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

I hope this helps. If you think this post was helpful, please check the thumbs up (helpful) tab below. Thank you!