Can a police officer demand to see my ID? See details for more information. Thank you.

Atlanta, GA |

I have a concealed carry permit. Weapon holstered on my side. Walking down a sidewalk not doing anything wrong. Can the police demand to see ID? Do I even have to answer there questions? Thank you.

I think the question is whether the police can stop you at all. A person can't be detained unless the police have reasonable articuable suspicion to think that the person is commiting a criminal offense.

Open carry in Georgia IS an offense unless the person has a permit, so the police are going to say they were stopping you to check to see if you have a permit. Upon display of a valid permit, though, they should let you leave.

↓ Mark this answer as "Helpful" or "Best Answer" if you like it. For more information, contact us at or (404) 835-7595. The initial consultation is always free for Avvo users.

Police misconduct topics

Recommended articles about Police misconduct