Skip to main content

Can a police officer arrest you for refusing to show id on private property for a noise violation?

Port Orange, FL |

and ask a interview a child without consent of parent and against request to speak to lawyer

Attorney Answers 1


It's arguable. The police likely wanted to give a citation for a noise ordinance violation and without your ID he could not. Courts have found that the right against self incrimination does not extend to biographical information on an ID. So it depends what the arrest was for (resisting?) and specifically what happened, but there are times where a police officer may arrest for a refusal to show ID if they have a lawful purpose for requiring it. And yes, police can and do interview children without parental consent, although that fact may be considered in whether the child freely and voluntarily spoke to the officer. Hire a defense attorney to review all the facts and allegations.

This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

Mark as helpful

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics