Can a personal injury settlement be counted as income in regards to unpaid child support in tx?

Asked about 1 year ago - Houston, TX

My ex was court ordered to pay child support a few years back, I recently found out he is to receive a personal injury settlement. He has not paid a dime or even tried to have a relationship with his child. I contacted attorney General office(texas) and they placed a lien on it. Does this mean that I will get my arrears that he owes me before he gets paid out? I ask because I read on one of these forums attys and insurance companies are required to comply with the CSLN to verify any unpaid child support before paying out....

Thanks in advance,

1. J. Trenton Bond

Pro

3

Answered . If the Attorney General has notified your ex's lawyer of the arrears then any arrears you are owed should be held out of the settlement. Consult with your family law attorney that your ex's lawyer has in fact been given proper notice, but the AG's office is typically very good at making sure this gets done but it does not hurt to double check.

2. Gregory S. Baumgartner

Pro

3

Answered . Once the attorney gets notice from the AG they should hold back the clients portion of a settlement to go toward the unpaid child support.

Pro

2

Answered . The lawyer can hold the arrearages

4. George Costas Andriotis

1

Answered . In Florida they can garnish your settlement and I'm sure it is the same in Texas.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.