Can a personal injury claim be filed quite a bit later than an incident happened?

Philadelphia, PA |

I was in a minor fender bender over a month ago, and just had a personal injury claim filed against me. Can they do that that much later?

One month? I'm surprised it's that fast. No, really.

The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in PA is two years. Typically, sometime after the accident a claim is filed with insurance, who then (most of the time) pays it. The cases that don't get paid out right away linger, sometimes right up until the two year mark. THEN a case is filed.

So, yeah. A month is really quick.

Yes. As long as the claim is filed within the statute of limitation in your jurisdiction (Pennsylvania). It would be prudent to contact your insurance carrier as soon as possible to alert them of the claim (if they are not already aware) and they will handle the claim and assign an attorney in the event that the injured party files a lawsuit.

This advice should not be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

A suit may be brought up to 2 years after the date of the accident, so a month later is within the legal period. If you are insured, notify your insurance company now; and send them a copy of the lawsuit. If you are not insured, you would be best advised to hire a local attorney who specialized in auto accident defense to represent you.

Yes. In Pennsylvania, the statute of limitations is 2 years for car accident cases.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755

Recommended articles about Personal injury