Can a personal injury claim be filed quite a bit later than an incident happened?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Philadelphia, PA

I was in a minor fender bender over a month ago, and just had a personal injury claim filed against me. Can they do that that much later?

.

1. Charles Thomas Jr.

6

Answered . One month? I'm surprised it's that fast. No, really.

The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in PA is two years. Typically, sometime after the accident a claim is filed with insurance, who then (most of the time) pays it. The cases that don't get paid out right away linger, sometimes right up until the two year mark. THEN a case is filed.

So, yeah. A month is really quick.

Pro

5

Answered . Yes. In Pennsylvania, the statute of limitations is 2 years for car accident cases.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  3. Matthew A. Dolman

Pro

6

Answered . Yes. As long as the claim is filed within the statute of limitation in your jurisdiction (Pennsylvania). It would be prudent to contact your insurance carrier as soon as possible to alert them of the claim (if they are not already aware) and they will handle the claim and assign an attorney in the event that the injured party files a lawsuit.

-Matt
    WWW.DOLMANLAW.COM

This advice should not be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.