Skip to main content

Can a person with type 2 diabetes apply for disability in the state of colorado?

Colorado Springs, CO |

Can a person with type 2 diabetes apply for disability in the state of colorado?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes, absolutely. The real question is whether you will be approved. That will depend on how it affects your ability to work. The answer will also depend on your age, education and work background. If you have any other illnesses, you should certainly list them on your application, such as complications of diabetes, for example.

Dianna Cannon

Dianna Cannon


All of these answers are correct, but I would add that diabetes is no longer a listed impairment, which means that you cannot win your case by claiming disability under diabetes alone. Therefore, you must be able to show that the symptoms of diabetes disable you from working. For example, you may have an amputation or neuropathy or retinopathy - these kinds of impairments from diabetes are what you need to focus on in your application.


A person can apply for social security disability as it is a federal program. In order to qualify for disability, you must be able to prove that you are unable to sustain a full time job at the required gainful employment level. If your diabetes is preventing you from performing work tasks, and you have medical documentation to corroborate your statements, then you may qualify. It would be wise to speak with a disability attorney to discuss your specific facts and he or she can analyze your claim and assist you.

The information provided in this answer is not, and should not be taken as legal advice, but rather basic information for viewers to use at their own risk. By submitting this information, no attorney-client relationship has been created.


You can apply. Depending on your work history and the severity of the condition, it may be difficult to get approved. You really should meet with an attorney to discuss your case before you proceed.

You can reach Harkess & Salter LLC by phone or email. Stephen Harkess is an attorney licensed in the state and federal courts of Colorado. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Stephen Harkess or Harkess & Salter LLC and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.


Yes, you can definitely apply. I would not do so without a great disability attorney who is familiar with the system though.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to be legal advice.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer