Skip to main content

Can a person with a DUI charge, considered a Felony due to an injury get probation only. (first time offender)

Austin, TX |

Drving on 6th St., car in front slammed on brakes to avoid hitting another car, I turned my car to left side rather then hitting front car or car on right side of street. Left side was parking area on street, victim leaning on car was hit. Include background information that will enable lawyers to answer your question.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes, you can get probation on an Intoxication Assault case. One way to go about it is negotiate a favorable plea agreement with the prosecution. However, in cases like this, a large part of the prosecution's decision making surrounding the plea agreement will hinge on the attitude of the injured person. In the event that you are unable to reach a palatable agreement, the other way you can get probation is from a jury during the sentencing phase of the trial. A jury can give probation if you have not been convicted of a felony. As a first offender, you'd qualify, though the jury is not obligated to give you probation. It's just an option for the jury to consider. The cleaner your record, and the more positive things you've done with your life, the better your chances of getting probation, whether by negotiation or by trial. As noted by other counsel below, if you are placed on probation for Intoxication Assault, the judge is required to sentence you to at least 30 but no more than 180 days in jail as a condition of probation. There are alternative ways to discharge that jail sentence that may be available to you, depending on the specifics of your case. If you want to read up on one of my recent Intoxication Manslaughter and Intoxication Assault trials, take a look here:


If you were charged with a DUI, retain a DUI lawyer in your city, and the chances of a positive outcome increase substantially.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


This sounds like a felony intoxication assault case. You will need a lawyer who is familiar with DWI defense. These cases are quite complex and are not for beginners.

Time to get a lawyer is NOW. Fortunately, Austin has many excellent criminal defense lawyers.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.


You can legally get probation for Intoxication Assault. It is a 3d degree felony. This means you can also get up to 10 years in prison.

If given probation, the judge is required by law to make you serve a minimum of 30 days in the county jail as a condition of just getting probation. This is day for day time with no good time credit allowed.

Defend the charge. The accident doesn't sound to be your fault. Even if you assume they can prove intoxication, if they can't prove your intoxication casued the accident and injury, then its just a misdemenaor DWI.

Get a stellar lawyer. Get someone who will fight for you. Get someone smart and experienced. I'm sure they have your blood.

Good luck.

If you find this answer helpful or most helpful, please indicate by clicking the appropriate link for Avvo. Thank you.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer