Can a person whose name is not on a deed automatically do a quit claim deed on your house?

Asked about 1 year ago - Miami, FL

my sister wants to take out a quit claim deed on my house.My mother's name is on the house and she is now deceased although she didnot sign over her share to my sister but I just found out she is trying to do a quit claim deed on the house,can she do that legally without my consent or my input?

1. Heather Morcroft

12

1

Answered . Ordinarily the only person who can do a quitclaim deed is the person who owned it. However, after death, there is a process called probate, and you don't give enough information here to determine what is going on with your mother's estate. You need to see a probate attorney and determine what is going on in order to preserve your rights.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******
  2. Barry A. Stein

Pro

8

Answered . A quit claim deed is a deed where the person transfers whatever interest they may have to a piece of property. They warrant nothing about what it is they are transferring. If the house you live in only had your mother's name and she died, then it passed to her heirs, BUT probate is likely needed to establish the rightful owners. You and your sister may be the owners and she has some interest she can transfer with or withour your consent or input.

3. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

7

Best Answer

Answered . If your mother owned the house in her name at death then the house has to go through probate which means an estate representative has to be named. Your sister, if she is not the estate representative, cannot do what you are proposing. You should see an attorney to walk you through the probate process.