Can a person who has already been deported, appeal a court case "if" immigration reform passes?

Asked about 1 year ago - Grand Rapids, MI

My parents got deported, three months ago. However they lived in the US for 15 years and had a court going in for 7 years Trying to stay in the country some way, sadly, they got deported. What I'm trying to say is that, "if" immigration reform does pass in 2014, will they be able fight in court to come back, Even though they were in the U.S for 15 years and a have fought court to stay? Or is there no such thing ?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . No one knows if and when immigration reform finally passes what that legislation will ultimately contain. Any answer now would be purely speculative.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that... more
  2. Jesse Adam Lloyd

    Contributor Level 6


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Right now, it is not certain there will be immigration reform, and if anything passes it will likely be after extensive negotiation, meaning it is very hard to predict now what any new law would say.. Therefore, there is no way to know now whether immigration reform would help your parents, but you should review further or consult with an attorney if reform passes.

  3. Ili J. Subhan


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No one knows what the legislation, if passed, will contain. We will have to wait and see. To learn more about current proposed and enacted legislation visit the American Immigration Lawyers Association website at

    The information provided is intended for informational purposes only and should not substitute for the advice and... more
  4. Renee M. Dagher

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . Immigration reform may or may not pass and if it does pass no one knows what it will contain. There is no way to answer that question. I agree with my colleagues, but you should sit down with their immigration attorney and understand what bars they face as a result of their removal under the law as it stands now.

    The information contained in this site is for general guidance on matters of interest only. The application and... more
  5. Juan Paolo Pasia Sarmiento

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . If they have a final order, they’d have to reopen their case first before any relief.

    JP Sarmiento
    Free Consultations (email /phone/in-person)
    (216) 573-3712

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,021 answers this week

3,037 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,021 answers this week

3,037 attorneys answering