Can a person who has a permanent restraining order on him for abuse get custody of his children in a divorce?

Asked over 1 year ago - Springfield, MA

Our daughter left her husband because he was abusing her, after 12 yrs of marriage, she took the children and moved, he got visitation and after being with him for 3 days the children came back and called her nasty names broke things in the home and told her they wanted to live with Dad, who has a permanent abuse order on him from a previous relationship. The Children are 12 and 14 yrs old. He came and picked them up and took them from her, she didn't call the police because she's afraid of him. He also was in jail for 18 months before she knew him for running down a State Trooper with his car.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

1

10

Answered . Most likely yes and your daughter should work with a local attny and he or she will protect her, take care.

2. Thomas J Callahan

2

Answered . I don't think the restraining order is an automatic bar to him getting custody. It's old, involves another person, and doesn't prove by itself he is a threat to the children. The 14 year old is getting to the age where his/her voice can be heard. What should happen and likely will happen is that once the divorce is started and custody disputed, a guardian ad litem will be appointed to investigate, interview everyone and make recommendations to the judge. The standard is best interests of the child, but with teenagers being heard (thru the GAL, never in court) and having substantial choice unless he is a substantial risk to their safety.

14 yr old is already starting to vote with his/her feet. The longer he/she remains in his custody, harder to reverse. Your daughter should meet with a local divorce atty. ASAP to discuss her options.