Can a person that leaves a voice mail saying they have cocain be arrested based off of the voicemail?

Garland, TX |

I know a person that called a friend and left a voicemail saying he had cocain; my friend wants to turn this over to the police for his arrest; can that person be arrestedbased off of the voicemail itself?

1. No

Providing general answers are meant to help the poster to understand some complex legal concepts and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship.

2. Doubtful.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

3. It may very well spark an investigation. But an officer would need more for an arrest.

The information provided is not advice but a legal perspective and you should schedule a consultation with the lawyer of your choice.

4. "Corpus Delicti": it means "body of the crime". It's not enough to admit to a crime, a crime has to actually occur. The practical application in your case is that the phone message itself is not enough to have someone arrested (probably), depending on how "in depth" the message is may be enough to allow the police to get a warrant (doubtful), but most likely it would be VERY useful if this man was caught with cocaine, and then they used the message to confirm ownership (ie, "It's not my drugs!" "Oh really, listen to this.")

Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. All answers are based on relevant laws in the State of Hawaii, and your local law may be different.

5. No. However, that person is guilty of being stupid.

This statement is intended for general information and does not form at attorney/client relationship. If interested in representation please contact me at (817) 870-9885 to schedule a consultation.