Can a person that leaves a voice mail saying they have cocain be arrested based off of the voicemail?

Asked 9 months ago - Garland, TX

I know a person that called a friend and left a voicemail saying he had cocain; my friend wants to turn this over to the police for his arrest; can that person be arrestedbased off of the voicemail itself?

1. Daniel Nelson Deasy

3

Answered . Doubtful.

2. Kathryn Mary Holton

1

Answered . No

3. JaPaula C Kemp

Pro

1

Answered . It may very well spark an investigation. But an officer would need more for an arrest.

4. Marcus L Landsberg IV

2

Answered . "Corpus Delicti": it means "body of the crime". It's not enough to admit to a crime, a crime has to actually occur. The practical application in your case is that the phone message itself is not enough to have someone arrested (probably), depending on how "in depth" the message is may be enough to allow the police to get a warrant (doubtful), but most likely it would be VERY useful if this man was caught with cocaine, and then they used the message to confirm ownership (ie, "It's not my drugs!" "Oh really, listen to this.")

5. Christopher M. Lankford

Answered . No. However, that person is guilty of being stupid.