Can a person that has a mental disability adopt a child?

Albertville, AL |
Filed under: Child adoption

I am wanting t o know if a person with a mental illness would be able to adopt a child. The person has no legal issues and has never been arrested for any type of violence. Would there be a way to adopt? what steps would need to be taken if that person did try to adopt a child?

There are different mental illnesses and differing degrees on how they manifest . I think that it would be possible with an appropriate psychological report. Some of the best parents I know are not the brightest and some of the brightest are the worst.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship. I apologize for mispelling< as I am a lousy typist, My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth. Further regarding courts in other states my opinions are largely based on logic and what I think is the modern trend which is to consider the needs of the child.

Child adoption topics