Skip to main content

Can a person that entered the US illegally get the US citizenship or any other legal document by marrying a US citizen?

Washington, DC |

The person that entered the US illegally has been working in the States for seven years and arrived at age 19. My interest is knowing if a marriage might allow the person without paper to get some sort of official document that may let them travel and enter the US again without problems.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. This question is complicated and does require a detailed analysis by an experienced immigration lawyer. It is possible for an undocumented person who is married to a U.S. citizen to obtain lawful status if certain requirements are met. It would be worthwhile for the parties involved to consult with an experienced immigration attorney in order to fully understand the options and the risks involved.

    The comments made on this site by Brenman Law Firm, PLLC of Chapel Hill, North Carolina are not legal advice. This information is provided as a public service and is intended as general guidance only. We require an initial consultation and a signed retainer agreement before we represent our clients.

  2. Possible.

    Mr. Asatrian's practice is dedicated to the area of immigration and nationality law. Please note the information provided herein does not constitute legal advice and should not be construed as such by anyone. It should not be relied upon as legal advice as more specific facts, research and analysis may be required to formulate a proper strategy and action in your matter. Please note this does not create an attorney-client relationship whatsoever. You should seek the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney to review your matter thoroughly and gather all of the necessary information and documentation to provide you with the best possible legal solution.

  3. It's possible. I cannot say for sure unless I know all the facts. He can possibly get a green card and then later apply for citizenship. The process will vary depending on a number of factors. Talk to one of us for help.

  4. I agree with Attorney Brenman. You expect way too much from AVVO when you ask a complicated quesiton and provided no facts to back it up.

    The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

  5. Need additional information before we can answer your question, recommend speaking to an immigration attorney to find out answer to your question. Good Luck

    Madhu Kalra Kalra Law Firm 23720 Arlington Avenue, Ste 5 Torrance, Ca 90501 (310) 325-9012

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics