Can a person speak with a judge without his or her attorney present to help resolve a criminal case?

Hesperia, CA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

To help the judge better understand the concerns of how the defendant has been denied a previous ruling from another judge concerning the defense attorney's lack of involvement in that case.

No. A person can request to speak with the Judge but there will be a clerk, a deputy, a court reporter and the defense counsel present. A person will get a chance to share the information pertaining to the "attorney's lack of involvement in that case" and the Judge will seek input from the attorney and then make a ruling.

Postings provided on this forum are informal and do not establish an attorney client relationship. To discuss your matter further please call my office at (760) 340-1800 in Palm Desert or (909) 469-5127 in Pomona. In most instances I offer free consultations.

No. Neither the State nor the judge can speak to a represented party. Even if you were to fire your attorney, the judge will not talk to you without the State present. There next to nothing a judge can do to help your case. Continuing without an attorney and discussing your case alone with a prosecutor are both unwise choices. If your attorney-client relationship is bad, it may be time to hire another attorney.

No.
Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at www.theocduiguy.com.

no

From the sound of things, you should definitely represent yourself. You obviously know so much more than your attorney. And obviously the prior judge didn't know what he or she was talking about. I'm sure you can do a much better job. And I bet your attorney would appreciate it.

Thank you for this terrible advice.

Joseph Salvatore Farina

Joseph Salvatore Farina

Your welcome. From your posts, you sound like every attorney's nightmare client.

No.

Short answer, NO.