Can a person relinquish their rights to be a co-executrix but then name someone to replace them?

Asked about 2 years ago - Bensalem, PA

My mother and her sister are the surviving children of a parent who has passed with no will.
My mother lives out of state. In order to obtain a short certificate she was told she needed to post a $5,00.00 bond. She would like to relinquish her rights and name her eldest daughter as a replacement since she's in the same state as her aunt & where the deceased resided.
Is this a valid avenue or are there any other possibilities?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Jay G. Fischer


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . When someone in PA dies without a will state law determines who is entitled to be the personal representative of the estate. Since your mother and sister are the intestate beneficiaries, they are both entitle to serve and would become co-administrators. If your mother renunciates her right to serve, I think the Register of Wills would appoint your aunt as sole Administrator. Your mother's situation is one of the reasons for people to prepare a Will, even when they have few assets. Generally, the Will waives the requirement of a bond for out of state personal representatives.

    NOTE: Mr. Fischer is an attorney licensed to practice in Pennsylvania. He can be reached at 610-269-0900 Ext 2 or... more
  2. Marshall D. Chriswell

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Yes, your mother may file a renunciation with the Register of Wills, and in that document she may recommend that her daughter be appointed instead. The final decision will, however, be up to the court.

    Please remember to mark this answer as “Helpful” or “Best Answer” if appropriate. Thank you.


    Marshall Chriswell

    Law Offices of Marshall D. Chriswell
    714 Philadelphia St., Suite 200
    Indiana, PA 15701
    (888) 438-5977
    (724) 465-5826


    Marshall D. Chriswell is a civil practitioner with offices in Indiana and Clearfield Counties. Mr. Chriswell's practice emphasizes Wills & Estate Planning, Probate, Real Estate, and general civil disputes.


    Mr. Chriswell provides free initial consultations, and will gladly meet clients in their homes upon request, including on the evenings or weekends.

    This communication does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney/client relationship. If you... more
  3. Charles Anthony Rick

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . She can certainly refuse and then reccomend someone else, however it will be up to the court to determine who should take her place..It won't be your mother's decision.

    If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,503 answers this week

2,825 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,503 answers this week

2,825 attorneys answering