Can a person obtain residency marrying a CU6 eventhough the alien (not the CU6) has derportation order for having EWI?

My Hondurean girlfriend EWI in 2005. She was ordered deported soon after that. We now want to marry and I am a CU6 category. I know we'll need a lawyer and we will get one, however, my question is can she obtain legal status through the Cuban Adjustment Act? Thank you.-

West Palm Beach, FL -

Javier E Morales

Javier E Morales

Immigration Attorney - Miami, FL

Although Cuban Adjustment is a special law and contains many exceptions there is no specific exception for an prior order of removal unless the applicant was deemed to be an arriving alien in which case USCIS retains jurisdiction to grant adjustment of status even with a final order of removal as Immigration Judges have no jurisdiction to adjudicate an application filed by an arriving alien seeking adjustment of status under the Cuban Refugee Adjustment Act, with the limited exception of an alien who has been placed in removal proceedings after returning to the United States pursuant to a grant of advance parole to pursue a previously filed application.

As you can see the above is a complex matter but it seems it wouldn't apply in her situation as she is EWI. Best course of action is to meet with an attorney and discuss the possibilities of filing an untimely motion to reopen, whether it is joint or sua sponte.

HOWEVER even with reopening the case she needs to have been admitted or paroled into the country in order to be eligible as a CU7 and thats another issue that needs to be addressed.

My offices are located in Miami and I handle Cuban Adjustment cases, feel free to contact me if you need further assistance.

Jeffrey Adam Devore

Jeffrey Adam Devore

Immigration Attorney - West Palm Beach, FL

Generally speaking, the answer to this question would be no since your girlfriend entered the U.S. without inspection. The Cuban adjustment act requires the alien to have been inspected and admitted or paroled into the United States. I suggest you consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review the specific facts of the case and recommend how best to proceed.

F. J. Capriotti III

F. J. Capriotti III

Immigration Attorney - Portland, OR

You are correct, you need to talk to an attorney who is aware of Cuban Adjustment rules.

Neil Ian Fleischer

Neil Ian Fleischer

Immigration Attorney - Cincinnati, OH

I would listen to the advice of the others and hire a lawyer
www.immigraet2usa.com for more immigration information