Can a person make a claim to my home if they receive mail and live at the address?

Daytona Beach, FL |

My name is the only name on deed and mortgage. They rent from me.

If they rent space, they only have a possessory right and that right cannot change to an ownership right just by their presence.

The answers given are limited to the facts as given and presumed by the answer itself. Without seeing actual written documentation or having a conference to more fully explore the issues, this short answer has only limited application. Make sure to seek legal counsel and provide all documentation to get assistance in making informed legal choices., 305 377 1505

No. Receiving mail and living at an address is consistent with a lease agreement, which gives only a right to possession and use and no ownership rights. There would need to be some dramatic details and facts that are left out in order for someone to have a claim for ownership. Office tel: (561)245-4723 Website: The answer provided does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor is the answer provided intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The information provided by the questioner is insufficient to serve as the basis for meaningful legal analysis. It is the questioner's responsibility to seek legal advice from an attorney who has had the opportunity to familiarize herself with the full details of the questioner's case. By providing these answers, I am not obligated to respond to any subsequent communication from the questioner. If the questioner would like me to serve as their legal counsel and render legal advice, they will have to sign a retainer agreement. The questioner is free to contact my office for a complimentary 30 minute consultation.

Ownership of real estate is by deed, not rent.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant