Can a person leave a psychiatric facility on their own after voluntarily admitting himself

Asked about 1 year ago - Lakewood, CA

My husband voluntarily admitted himself to a facility due to suicidal thoughts. He has been in the facility for longer than 72 hours. He want to now leave and was threatened that if he attempted to check himself out they wold deem him 5150 and put a 72 hour hold on him. Their assessment of him is based on 1 sixty second conversation with a psychiatrist that consisted of 3 questions, one of which was re you giving suicidal thoughts, to which the answer was no. Can he leave of his own free will? Can these people force him to stay?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Sagar P. Parikh

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . You need to consult with the psychiatric ward and see what their policies and procedures are.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,629 answers this week

2,995 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,629 answers this week

2,995 attorneys answering