Skip to main content

Can a person get power of attorney without the siblings signing the form if parent has alz and cant make a choice

Quinton, AL |

with the death of another parents death after the face the alz parent doesn;t know anything much are at all what can i do

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Siblings cant sign a form to get power of attorney over a parent. Only the parent can grant power of attorney. If they dont have capacity, they cant grant power of attorney. You should consult and elder law attorney.

    The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. While I am licensed to practice in New York and California, I do not actively practice in New York. Regardless, nothing said should be deemed an opinion of law of any state. All readers need to do their own research or pay an attorney for a legal opinion if one is necessary or desired.

  2. Attorney Shultz is correct. There is nothing your siblings can sign to legally give themselves power of attorney for your parents. If the situation is bad enough and you suspect they are abusing your parent, contact Adult Protective Services.

  3. From your description it appears your mother lacks capacity to sign a power of attorney. A person cannot "get" power of attorney over another person. Only a compentent adult can grant power of attorney to someone else. It appears you may need to seek guardianship and conservatorship to accomplish your purpose. You will need to seek assistance from an elder law attorney.

  4. The short answer is your parent must be competent to grant someone power of attorney to act on their behalf according to the terms of the power of attorney. If they were not competent then technically the power of attorney is void, but you may need to prove that they were/are not competent for it to be voided. Probably the best way to "prove" they are not competent and to obtain the best protection for the parent is to pursue a guardianship and/or conservatorship through the probate court in the county in which they reside. However, guardianship and/or conservatorship proceedings can be both difficult and sometimes contentious; therefore, you need to prepare yourself accordingly.

Child custody topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics