Can a person get deported if they get a felony charge and if i have a resident card ......

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

is it true that if you go to jail for a felony ice can still pick you up once you come out of jail

1. Elliot Rahmim Zarabi

Pro

3

Answered . Yes, but its not as simple as you state. Depending on what the person is being charged with and what they are convicted of can make a big difference and there may not be immigration issues. A lot depends on how you handle the criminal case. You should speak to an attorney who also has a good knowledge of immigration consequences and pleas.

Elliot Zarabi
    www.FreeCriminalConsultation.com
    213-612-7720

2. Neil James Fraser

2

Answered . Yes, it's true. ICE will place a hold on such an individual so that, at the end of his sentence, he is not released but transferred to the custody of INS for deportation proceedings.

As my colleague said, this consequence needs to be taken into account in determining how to defend the case to avoid a conviction for a deportable offense.

3. Brian Russell Michaels

Pro

1

Answered . Absolutely.

Brian Michaels
    www.socalcrimdefense.com
    3109919179

4. William A. Jones Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with what has been said so far. I join in only for purposes of suggesting that you repost your question under the Practice Area "Immigration" so that it will come to the attention of attorneys who have experienced in this specialized field of law. Good luck.