Can a person get deported for drug possesion and they have permanent residency of US?

Asked over 4 years ago - Newark, NJ

Hi, I have A friend who was born in Jamaica he is 32 yrs old, but came to the US when he was 12, his dad is a US citizen. My friend had been arrested 3 times with drug possesion, one time he almost got deported. Now, not too long ago he got arrested, he had drugs on him, drugs at his house, they found alot of money and they found a unresgistered gun at his house. He was then released after three month in jail. My question is, Will he be deported and do time? Can he married a US citizen to help him stay in the country if he is being deported? If he gets his citizenship thru his dad would he still be Deported?

Thank you very much!

He was under the age of 18 when his dad became a US citizen but Im not sure if he lived with his dad. He was convicted three times of drug possesion and he did some time in jail. When he was first convicted he almost got deported back to Jamaica but somehow I'm assuming they gave him a second chance. His last drug possesion charges happened about 3-4 months ago, in which consisted of drugs on him, at his house and a unregistered gun. After being locked up for about a two weeks, They had a "hold" on him but then released him. However, Im not sure if he received a resident cancellaton or removal. And yes your are absolutly right, marriage should come in to place when to people love each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together. But I think that now that he is in that situation he will marry his sons mother in which she is was born in the United States, because they believe that it will help keep him in the country.. Hope this is enough information to answer my questions. Thank You!

1. Kevin Lawrence Dixler

Pro

Answered . More information is needed. How old was he when his father became a naturalized U.S. Citizen? Did he live with his father or both of his natural parents? Did he already receive permanent resident cancellation of removal? How many times was he convicted of drug possession convictions? These are a few of the many questions that should be answered by an experienced immigration attorney at an appointment or teleconference.

It is unclear whether marriage to a U.S. Citizen will make a difference at this point. A marriage should be done because people are in love and willing to spend the rest of their lives, together, even if it must be in Jamaica.

I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with an experienced immigration attorney.

The above is general information and does not create an attorney-client relationship.