Can a person get a restraining order pertaining to a residence or part of a residence?

Asked 10 months ago - Boston, MA

Someone that I have previously resided with has threatened to get a restraining order against me to protect a particular room in our home, a room in which contains his belongings. This sounds illogical to me as I believe ROs are usually pertaining to people, not things.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Julie Court Molloy

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The answer depends on the purpose for which the RO is sought. ROs are granted to protect a person, although in some circumstances, ordering another person to stay away from a specific location may be appropriate.

    Some people to take their anger out on another person's belongings, and when the person whose belongings are affected believes this anger will translate into anger and violence toward that person, an RO may indeed be appropriate.

    If this is a situation where your housemate has "issues" with you touching or disturbing his/her belongings only, however, with no threat of harm to the person, an RO would not be appropriate.

    Best wishes.

    No attorney-client relatonship is created in responding to this question, and advice provided is based solely on... more
  2. Kathleen Ann Black Reynolds

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Perhaps the person will seek a no trespass order thereby preventing you from accessing this room without permission. I've never seen an RO issued for a room. I agree with Attorney Molloy's suggestions. Someone can be ordered to stay away from a particular residence or workplace, but not without meeting the standard required by an RO.

    The information provided here is not to be constituted as legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is... more
  3. Estela Matta


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The short answer is: probably not, unless, as Attorney Molloy has pointed out you can show that there is a likelihood of harm to the person.

    This answer is provided for informational purposes only and it is not intended as legal advice. Additionally, this... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,651 answers this week

3,053 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,651 answers this week

3,053 attorneys answering