Can a person get a restraining order pertaining to a residence or part of a residence?

Asked 10 months ago - Boston, MA

Someone that I have previously resided with has threatened to get a restraining order against me to protect a particular room in our home, a room in which contains his belongings. This sounds illogical to me as I believe ROs are usually pertaining to people, not things.

1. Julie Court Molloy

7

Answered . The answer depends on the purpose for which the RO is sought. ROs are granted to protect a person, although in some circumstances, ordering another person to stay away from a specific location may be appropriate.

Some people to take their anger out on another person's belongings, and when the person whose belongings are affected believes this anger will translate into anger and violence toward that person, an RO may indeed be appropriate.

If this is a situation where your housemate has "issues" with you touching or disturbing his/her belongings only, however, with no threat of harm to the person, an RO would not be appropriate.

Best wishes.

2. Kathleen Ann Black Reynolds

3

Answered . Perhaps the person will seek a no trespass order thereby preventing you from accessing this room without permission. I've never seen an RO issued for a room. I agree with Attorney Molloy's suggestions. Someone can be ordered to stay away from a particular residence or workplace, but not without meeting the standard required by an RO.

3. Estela Matta

Pro

1

Answered . The short answer is: probably not, unless, as Attorney Molloy has pointed out you can show that there is a likelihood of harm to the person.