Can a person get a restraining order pertaining to a residence or part of a residence?

Boston, MA |

Someone that I have previously resided with has threatened to get a restraining order against me to protect a particular room in our home, a room in which contains his belongings. This sounds illogical to me as I believe ROs are usually pertaining to people, not things.

The answer depends on the purpose for which the RO is sought. ROs are granted to protect a person, although in some circumstances, ordering another person to stay away from a specific location may be appropriate.

Some people to take their anger out on another person's belongings, and when the person whose belongings are affected believes this anger will translate into anger and violence toward that person, an RO may indeed be appropriate.

If this is a situation where your housemate has "issues" with you touching or disturbing his/her belongings only, however, with no threat of harm to the person, an RO would not be appropriate.

Best wishes.

No attorney-client relatonship is created in responding to this question, and advice provided is based solely on very limited facts presented, and therefore may not be correct. You are advised that it is always best to contact a competent and experienced with the practice of law in the county in which you reside, particularly as it relates to family law, child support, custody and visitation (a/k/a "parenting time") issues, including 209A abuse-prevention restraining orders (a/k/a "ROs" in legal-speak), regarding un-emancipated children, under the age of 22.

Perhaps the person will seek a no trespass order thereby preventing you from accessing this room without permission. I've never seen an RO issued for a room. I agree with Attorney Molloy's suggestions. Someone can be ordered to stay away from a particular residence or workplace, but not without meeting the standard required by an RO.

The information provided here is not to be constituted as legal advice, and no attorney-client relationship is established.

The short answer is: probably not, unless, as Attorney Molloy has pointed out you can show that there is a likelihood of harm to the person.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only and it is not intended as legal advice. Additionally, this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you wish to obtain legal advice specific to your case, please consult with a local attorney