Can a person get a restraining order on a person while they are in prison and about to get released

Asked about 5 years ago - Puyallup, WA

My babys dad is in prison, is there a way for me to obtain a restraing order before he gets out so that me and my son can be protected from him? Or do I have to wait for him to get out?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Ronald S. Pichlik

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . It is certainly possible to get a restraining, or personal protection order against someone who is about to be released from prison. The significant question, (that your question does not address), is was he in prison for a crime of violence against you and/or your son; if he was than certainly you should be able to obtain such an order. Most counties employ some type of individual to provide information and/or assistance in the personal protection order application process. You might want to contact your local county clerks office or local prosecutor's/district attorney's office.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,935 answers this week

2,798 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,935 answers this week

2,798 attorneys answering