Skip to main content

Can a person for Identity Theft be sued even if happen before ten years?

New York, NY |

I would like to know is it possible to sue a person that made Identity Theft to me but it was before 10 years but I recently have found out who it was with my name on there two home address.I lived in Europe a long time and I had no clue about what was happening to my SSN but apparently a person that I stayed at that time when I was getting my SSN gave the information to the scums as they both knew I do not live in USA.Any legal advise would be great as I would like to do anything just for them not to get away with it,I hope they have something that they bought on funds on account that some agency can arrest them or something and would I be able to sue them for damage in some way?

Attorney Answers 3


I doubt you can overcome the statute of limitations.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Contact the credit reporting agencies to clean up your record. They may require a police report of the crime.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Whether or not you still have a viable cause of action really depends on when (or if) the person(s) have stopped using your information. You should report this to the police, and as another colleague stated, contact the credit bureaus.

The answer(s) herein do not constitute the establishment of an attorney/client relationship, nor are they intended to constitute the practice of law in any State. The answer(s) are based on extremely limited information provided by the submitter and are for general information purposes only. The original submitter, and those viewing these answer(s) are highly encouraged to seek out and engage legal counsel in their jurisdiction to review the entire matter.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics