Can a person convicted of DUI petition for early termination of a 5 year probation in order to apply for U.S citizenship?

Philadelphia, PA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

My friend was convicted of DUI 3 years ago in CA . Now he is living in PA (I doubt that makes a diference) and has been eligible to apply for citizenship for over a year now. Is it possible to apply prior the end of the 5 year probation period? He was told by some lawyers that this is an option and by others that it is not. 3 years have past since the violation date.

If he makes the motion for early release, he would need to do so in CA. Was he given permission to relocate to PA? If not, his relocating without permission might jeopardize his chances of release.

Disclaimer: I am not offering legal advice, assume I do not know the law in your state and that I am just making suggestions for starting points for when you do speak with an attorney. Do NOT rely on anything I write and contact a lawyer in your area immediately after reading my posting.