Can a person be tried as a career criminal when they have only one prior conviction for possession

Palmdale, CA |
Filed under: Criminal charges

My friend got 3 yrs, served 16 months for possession 6 yrs ago in CA. He moved to Texas and was arrested for receiving 4 lbs of marijuana and 19 gms of meth through the US post office. His public defender is saying that he may be tried as a career criminal and possibly receive a life sentence. Is that possible with only one prior conviction of possession? Currently being charged with drug trafficking through US mail with intent to distribute.

I would ask an attorney in Texas.

You need a Texas lawyer.

The laws of Texas and California are not the same. California attorneys are usually not licensed to practice law in Texas and are not familiar with Texas law. If your friend has been charged with a crime in Texas, he needs a Texas criminal defense attorney.

The response above is not intended as legal advice. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Legal questions can only be fully answered through consultation with an attorney to whom you give full and accurate details. Anything you post here is not confidential and is not protected by the attorney-client relationship. It is highly recommended that you seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting.

John M. Kaman

John M. Kaman

In other words CA attorneys are not usually full of bull.