Can a person be arrested for refusing ambulance service

Asked almost 5 years ago - Bloomington, IL

i was injured and my mother was on her way to take me to the hospital but in the mean time someone had called the ambulance i tried to refuse their service and explained that my mother was on her way the police and emts restrained me to a body board and during my struggle to get away from them i kicked one of the emts (no injury) i was never placed in handcuffs or read my miranda rights, i was never booked when i was taken to jail and i have no bond but i have to go court for resisting arrest and battery

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . You can be arrested, charged and convicted of resisting arrest and battery. You need a criminal defense lawyer to assist you when you go to court. Meanwhile, do not post any details online because of potential self incrimination problems. Get a criminal defense lawyer on your side. Your lawyer will tell you not to speak to the police. Everyone has a freedom against self-incrimination but an online site like this one is not private. What you post here may be used against you. No one can say what the evidence is against you so at least remain silent and do not incriminate yourself without speaking to a lawyer.

Read my Legal Guide "Internet Privacy - Not!" if you think it might be helpful.

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/internet-p...

Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

2. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

Answered . You're going to want to set up a face-to-face consultation with a good criminal defense attorney in your area.

Can you be arrested and charged for this? Yes. Will you be convicted? That depends. The police report and the facts of the case will determine what defense you might have, but if you were competent to refuse ambulance care, I'm not sure they had any right to force you to do anything. They would need to justify their actions. If the police and/or EMT were unjustified in what they did, you may have a defense to the resisting charge under a self-defense theory.