Can a person apply for legal residency after crossing the border using someone else's birth certificate ?

Someone wants me to help them with their residency application. They want me to say they live with me and I help support them. But I don't. Also, when they crossed the border using another persons birth certificate, they were finger printed and swore it was true. I don't want to get into trouble by lying? Does this person actually have a good chance of being approved? I don't believe so but they don't believe me.

No one should ever lie on an application or document submitted to the government. It is a crime. The person who wants your help should see an immigration lawyer since what they want to do could get them arrested if the facts are as you states. A false claim to U.S. citizenship carries one of the harshest penalties in immigration law - permanent inadmissibility and a bar to most immigration benefits. It is also a felony under federal law. Very serious stuff if you're caught!!!

That person not only doesn't have any chance of being approved, but is also assured of being criminally prosecuted if caught.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

I don't want to get into trouble by lying?
Then don't.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Recommended articles about Immigration