Can a person apply for citizenship with a misdemeanor on record ? how long would they have to wait in order to apply ?

Asked over 2 years ago - Jacksonville, FL

Also what would they need to do in order to apply ?

1. Luis Alberto Guerra

Pro

1

Answered . Maybe, we will need more info: type of case, statute, dates

2. Jeremy Durward Lasnetski

Pro

1

Answered . When a person applies for Citizenship, USCIS will look at whether that person is "admissible" and/or "deportable." They will also look at the last five years to determine whether the applicant has "good moral character." A criminal conviction, even a withhold of adjudication, can have significant consequences in the naturalization process. No matter how minor the conviction, nor how long ago it happened, you should consult with an attorney that is experienced in both immigration law and criminal law to determine 1) whether you are eligible to naturalize, 2) whether the prior record is a bar to "good moral character", and 3) whether USCIS would be able to issue a Notice to Appear to start a deportation proceeding based on the prior conviction. That attorney should also be able to determine whether it is in your best interests to go back and attack the criminal conviction. If you were not advised of the immigration consequences at the time of your plea, you may be able to challenge the conviction.

3. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

Answered . Whether the misdemeanor will effect your ability to naturalize depends on the charge, the conviction and the date of the conviction. I strongly suggest you consult with an experienced immigration attorney who also knows criminal defense BEFORE you file for your NATZ.

Kyndra L Mulder, Esquire
    4110 Southpoint Boulevard, Suite 101
    Jacksonville, Florida 32216

(904) 296-7702
    immigration@MulderLawOffice.com

4. J Charles Ferrari

1

1

Answered . It depends on the exact language of the statute under which you were convicted and whether or not you on probation.

You need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

5. Stephanie Scarborough

1

Answered . It will depend on the statute under which you were convicted. Depending on the conviction, you need to wait 5 years to ensure good moral character. I recommend you consult an attorney who can review the conviction.