Can a person 62 years of age who is qualified for a federal job be denied that job because of age. the job is a desk position

Asked 7 months ago - Toms River, NJ

job is to manage and delegate repairs for section 8 housing units in NYC . the position is open as of April 1st and I meet all requirements for city and state need to secure job but fed gov says I can not be over 50 to secure job

1. Dustin Linley Collier

Pro

1

Answered . The short answer is that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act and the Civil Service Reform Act of 1978 both prohibit a federal employer from discriminating against applicants on the basis of age (note this only applies to workers over 40). There is an exception where they can prove that age is a "bona fide occupational qualification," but that certainly isn't apparent from the details in your post.

I would suggest contacting a local employment lawyer immediately to discuss this further.