Can a peron with suspended licence in california for DUI [2nd conviction in 9 years]. Drive electric scooter?

Asked almost 5 years ago - San Mateo, CA

Can a peron with suspended licence in california for DUI [2nd conviction in 9 years]. Drive electric scooter?. I found a scooter for my husband because he has AA classes, DUI classes to attend and getting around is very hard for him. Can he buy a electric scooter?. I saw the following describtion in the website for the scooter.

Can anyone confirm?

Because electric bicycles have a pedal system (even though they do not need to be used) there is no need for a drivers license, it does not have to be registered with the DMV, and if you follow the bicycle laws you should be able to ride this bike any place bicycles are allowed to operate. This electric bicycle is generally welcome in all RV parks.

1. Robert Lee Marshall

Answered . If your driving privilege is suspended for DUI, you cannot drive a motor vehicle. Under California Vehicle Code 415(a), that means "any vehicle that is self-propelled." There is an exception for self-propelled wheelchairs and tricycles operated by disabled people.

Please understand that this is a general discussion of legal principles by a California lawyer and does not create an attorney/client relationship. It's impossible to give detailed, accurate advice based on a few sentences on a website (and you shouldn't provide too much specific information about your legal matter on a public forum like Avvo, anyway). You should always seek advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction who can give you an informed opinion after reviewing all of the relevant information.

2. Matthew Edward Williamson

Answered . Sorry, the answer is no. You may wish to consider getting him a good, non-motorized bike instead.

Good luck with your situation.

Matthew Williamson

3. Edward Jerome Blum

Answered . No.

4. Craig Jacob Rosenstein

Answered . The short answer is no. Loss of license typically disaalows use of all mechanized transportation devices. Registration with the MVD is not the criteria in which the analysis is done (although I agree it should be).

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now