Can a Permanent resident vote on local/state issues in Washington State?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Bellevue, WA

I am applying for Citizenship and I voted once in the last five years on local/state issues, but not for any federal elections. I am not sure if I have violated the law and wether or not I need to mark yes in the USCIS questionairs in reference to voting. Please help. Thanks

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

16

1

Answered . Not an immigration question. This is a matter of state and local law.

2. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

4

Answered . In WA, a person has to be a US citizen to vote in any public election whether it is for a federal, state, or local issue. See the information provided by the Secretary of State at https://wei.sos.wa.gov/agency/osos/en/voters/Pa... .

To register to vote in WA, the applicant must declare on oath that the person is a citizen of the US.

You need to review your specific facts with your attorney to find out your legal options. Claiming one is a US citizen when one is not a US citizen is generally a basis for the US government to deport the claimant from the US.

3. Stephen D. Berman

5

Answered . That is a question of state law, not U.S. immigration law. If it is allowed, you did not violate the immigration law.

4. Carlos E Sandoval

3

Answered . Normally you would not be able to vote on local or states issues if you are not a citizen, but you should have an immigration lawyer take a look in your jurisdiction to see if there are any states laws that permit non-citizens to vote in that jurisdiction. The penalties are very harsh if you voted without being allowed to do so.