Can a Permanent resident vote on local/state issues in Washington State?

Asked about 2 years ago - Bellevue, WA

I am applying for Citizenship and I voted once in the last five years on local/state issues, but not for any federal elections. I am not sure if I have violated the law and wether or not I need to mark yes in the USCIS questionairs in reference to voting. Please help. Thanks

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Not an immigration question. This is a matter of state and local law.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Thuong-Tri Nguyen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In WA, a person has to be a US citizen to vote in any public election whether it is for a federal, state, or local issue. See the information provided by the Secretary of State at .

    To register to vote in WA, the applicant must declare on oath that the person is a citizen of the US.

    You need to review your specific facts with your attorney to find out your legal options. Claiming one is a US citizen when one is not a US citizen is generally a basis for the US government to deport the claimant from the US.

  3. Stephen D. Berman

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . That is a question of state law, not U.S. immigration law. If it is allowed, you did not violate the immigration law.

    The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an... more
  4. Carlos E Sandoval

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Normally you would not be able to vote on local or states issues if you are not a citizen, but you should have an immigration lawyer take a look in your jurisdiction to see if there are any states laws that permit non-citizens to vote in that jurisdiction. The penalties are very harsh if you voted without being allowed to do so.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,052 answers this week

3,467 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,052 answers this week

3,467 attorneys answering