Skip to main content

Can a permanent resident obtain international drivers license if failed dmv driving test? will uscis deny my naturalization?

Hayward, CA |

hi i have never obtained a drivers license in both my home country and the states. I've been struggling on passing the actual test at dmv. I'm planning to get an international drivers license in my home country bcos it is easier to obtain. will that revoke my current green card or naturalization process in the future? does america don't want u to get a license in ur hometown while ur a permanent resident in the states? thank u for ur future posts.

immigration, green card, naturalization

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Sorry, Hayward, but you just need to study hard and drive well to pass that test. As long as you're still in lawful status here in the US (sounds like it since you have a green card), you are eligible to receive a license from the DMV. However, if you want to drive in California, you simply must pass the test. Best of luck!

The answer given here is based solely on the facts provided, which may be incomplete, and is intended for general information only. It does not establish an attorney-client relationship, nor should it be relied upon for further legal action, which should only be taken after first having a consultation with an experienced, licensed attorney.


You must obtain a California driver's license once you have lived in this State for at least 10 days. The international driver's license will not be honored under State law.

Please note that this posting does not constitute legal advice or create any attorney-client relationship with the inquirer. Avvo is a useful forum to obtain general information on legal issues, but is not a substitute for direct, confidential consultation with an attorney in any legal matter.


No, you must obtain a California drivers license.

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer