Can a permanent resident marry and immigrant to organise his papers

Asked over 1 year ago - Boston, MA

I want to help my fiance to get his papers so that he can get a job and better his life so he won't have to depend on me for everything. I'm a permanent resident, can I still get the stuff done?

1. Kira Gagarin

5

Answered . It will take several years for him to get his residency if you are a Resident - assuming that he is otherwise eligible. If you become a citizen, the process takes about 6-8 months. In addition, there are many other reasons that I encourage you to obtain your citizenship, if you are eligible to do so. Make sure to speak with an attorney before filing any paperwork to make sure there are no other obstacles. Good Luck.

Massachusetts Immigration Attorney
    Boston and Framingham Locations
    www.gagarinlaw.com
    508 455 4241

2. Laura Justine Jacobson

4

Answered . As a permanent resident, you can file a petition for your spouse. However, he'll have to wait a few years for a visa to become available, and he will have to go back to his country to finish the process. Depending on his immigration history here, there might be other issues that could complicate his case. If you become a U.S. citizen, the process is generally easier and faster. You should talk to an immigration attorney before filing anything, so that the attorney can review the facts of your case in more detail and advise you of your best options.

3. Joseph E. Best

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues here. I would just stress that you should get something filed sooner rather than later, assuming your relationship is bona fide. There likely will be (and no one knows for sure) a direct impact on all pending visa petitions/ cases if the government as promised provides for Comprehensive Immigration Reform in 2013. Part of the legal fix by Congress will have to be working on the back log of pending cases. Your petition either will be within that expedited backlog or not. So timing may really matter. Because no law is yet written, my opinion here is entirely speculative at this point-- but certainly for any future law to be a comprehensive fix--- it will have to include all those cases currently waiting in line. The best investment you can make is to hire a competent conscientious licensed attorney who knows immigration law. More cases are lost and lives devastated by bad, lazy lawyers or non-lawyer advisers than by our utterly broken system of regulations and laws. Also-- any legal advice you get on line is NEVER a substitute for hiring a good attorney. Good luck!

4. K Alexandra Monaco

3

Answered . Because you are not a citizen, though you may sponsor him, it will take several years. If you are able, you should get your citizenship first. Then, once you have citizenship, you can marry and sponsor hi and the process should take less than 6 months.

5. Dean P Murray

2

Answered . Consult an immigration lawyer as soon as possible. Many of us offer free consultations. Call around.

Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

6. Lalita Haran

Answered . First, marriage for the purpose of immigration is never a good idea I say this because you stated you want to help him get his papers. Best Wishes!
    If you marry for any other reason you can apply for your spouse. I hope you consult with an immigration attorney who could guide you make the right choice. Best Wishes!
    Lalita Haran
    Attorney
    Practice Area: Immigration
    13295 Illinois St., Ste. 128
    Carmel IN 46032
    Ph: (317) 660-6174
    www.haranlaw.com

7. Charles Bennion

Pro

Answered . It sounds like you have a meaningful and substantive relationship with your fiance. If you marry him for genuine reasons, then he will be the spouse of a permanent resident, and you can file for him to immigrate under that category (F2A). It is taking approximately 2 1/2 years for people in that category to get to the front of the line for a visa.