Can a permanent alien resident sponsor his/her sibling (brother/sister)?

Macon, GA |

I have been living in Georgia since 2008 under F1 status (student visa) and in a short amount of time my time for schooling will expire because i am about to graduate with my B.A degree. My sister is a alien resident and i would like to know if it is possible for her to sponsor me to attain my green card or would it be possible for my brother in law (her husband) to sponsor me, he is a US citizen?

1. Eligibility for family-based immigration benefits falls into categories established by statute. Unfortunately there is no category for "a sibling of a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident" or by which a U.S. Citizen may petition for his wife's sister.

It may be worthwhile to explore employment-based immigration options, if upon graduation you may have a job with an eligible employer who wishes to sponsor you for a job that requires the degree you are achieving.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

David N. Soloway
    Frazier, Soloway, Poorak & Kennedy, P.C.
    1800 Century Place, Suite 100
    Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com
    404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.] David N. Soloway Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. 1800 Century Place, Suite 100 Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com 404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com

2. A petitioner has to be a USC to sponsor an alien sibling. It takes a very long time and the alien sibling cannot stay on in the U.S. illegally. Have you looked into employer sponsorship after your degree studies? An H1B.

An attorney-client relationship is not formed by my responses to questions on Avvo. My responses are not intended to be legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice.

3. Neither can sponsor.

Dhenu Savla
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    www.swagatusa.com