CAN A PATIENT OBTAIN THEIR OWN MEDICAL RECORDS WHEN the patient refuses PIPPA permission to give these records to anyone else ?

I have been told that " if I refuse to sign the HIPPA agreement " - - HPPA must allow me & ONLY me to see my own personal medical records

Beloit, WI -

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Litigation Lawyer - Fairfax, VA

"The law requires your doctor, hospital, or other health care provider you see in person to ask you to state in writing that you received the notice. Often, that means the doctor will ask you to sign a form stating that you received the notice that day.
•The law does not require you to sign the “acknowledgement of receipt of the notice.”
•Signing does not mean that you have agreed to any special uses or disclosures of your health records.
•Refusing to sign the acknowledgement does not prevent the entity from using or disclosing health information as the Rule permits it to do.
•If you refuse to sign the acknowledgement, the provider must keep a record that they failed to obtain your acknowledgement."
See http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/understand...

Martha Ann Knutson

Martha Ann Knutson

Health Care Lawyer - San Diego, CA

Yes - your right to see your own records and your right to refuse to let others see them are separate. There is no "HIPAA agreement" that you need to sign, however as the other counsel has noted you may be asked to sign an acknowledgement that you received a "notice of privacy practices" - your HIPAA rights exist whether or not you sign such a document.

For more information, see the information from the federal Office for Civil Rights linked below.