CAN A PATIENT OBTAIN THEIR OWN MEDICAL RECORDS WHEN the patient refuses PIPPA permission to give these records to anyone else ?

Beloit, WI |
Filed under: Privacy law

I have been told that " if I refuse to sign the HIPPA agreement " - - HPPA must allow me & ONLY me to see my own personal medical records

"The law requires your doctor, hospital, or other health care provider you see in person to ask you to state in writing that you received the notice. Often, that means the doctor will ask you to sign a form stating that you received the notice that day.
•The law does not require you to sign the “acknowledgement of receipt of the notice.”
•Signing does not mean that you have agreed to any special uses or disclosures of your health records.
•Refusing to sign the acknowledgement does not prevent the entity from using or disclosing health information as the Rule permits it to do.
•If you refuse to sign the acknowledgement, the provider must keep a record that they failed to obtain your acknowledgement."

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Yes - your right to see your own records and your right to refuse to let others see them are separate. There is no "HIPAA agreement" that you need to sign, however as the other counsel has noted you may be asked to sign an acknowledgement that you received a "notice of privacy practices" - your HIPAA rights exist whether or not you sign such a document.

For more information, see the information from the federal Office for Civil Rights linked below.

This response is intended to provide general information, but not legal advice. The response may be different if there are other or different facts than those included in the original question. See for more information on why this communication is not privileged or create an attorney-client relationship.

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights