Can a patient give verbal consent via telephone to relay a report to someone with them?

North Little Rock, AR |

Ex: Elderly pt calls office asking for test results but wants daughter to receive report so she can explain to patient. Daughter is not listed on HIPAA.

1. You need to have properly executed hippa forms.

2. HIPAA form is needed.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

3. No, it would violate HIPPA. However, the elderly patient could get the report and personally give it to her daughter.

4. It is possible but generally special circumstances are required, such as special key words to prove that this is in fact the individual he or she claims to be; and the key words used to identify have to be approved in writing by the patient.

My experience is that it is best to have a a written authorization is best.

I am licensed in New Mexico and Pennsylvania, and therefore any discussion of issues related to other states must considered within that context. In addition, my comments are not intended to create a legal representation but merely to respond to the limited facts presented by the question. Any opinion herein is not meant as a precise statement of legal rights or as a recommendation of any particular course of action. A more complete legal review can be obtained through local counsel.

Medical malpractice topics