Can a paternity suit be filed if paternity has already been determined by another father?

Asked over 1 year ago - Adrian, MI

I gave birth 2 months ago, the man I thought to be the father and I did a personal at home dna test between him and my daughter. The results turned out showing that he is the father. But my question is there was another man that thought he was the father when I first found out I was pregnant, he chose to not be in my life during the entire pregnancy but in the beginning did threaten to file a paternity suit and file for custody. Seeing that a dna test has already been done and he is clearly not the father is he still able to file a suit? If so is there a way that I can counter it preventing the paternity test?

1. Neil M. Colman

Pro

Answered . Confusing. If the man who is not the father has not filed a paternity action, or has not signed an Affidavit of Parentage or Acknowledgement of Paternity, then you and the biological father can execute and file an Acknowledgement of Paternity. Until the non-father is legally determined to be the biological father (by one of the methods above), he has no rights. Consult with a family law attorney who will be able to better assess the issue once more facts are disclosed.

Neil M. Colman
    www.divlawyer@gmail.com
    586.254.1100

2. James M. Osak

Answered . These "home" DNA tests are not
    proof of anything as they are not
    "accurate." You'll need a DNA test
    from a legitimate labratory. You
    can settle things afterwards!