Can a passenger remove seatbelt at stoplight, grab something from back seat and replace belt before the vehicle moves again.

Minneapolis, MN |

Received ticket for this. 11 year old that meets height and weight requirements for front seating was belted in front passenger seat of minivan. Passenger removed seatbelt while vehicle was stopped at stop light to retrieve something from back seat. Passenger returned to seat and replaced seatbelt before light turned and before vehicle started moving.

1. This sounds like a unique situation, one that rarely occurrs and one that any judge would see as not violating the spirit, if only the letter of the seat belt law. Fight the ticket.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

2. The seat belt law doesn't refer to whether or not a vehicle is in motion or even being driven. So it's unclear as to whether or not you would have a defense to the citation. But if you're interested in litigating the ticket you have a decent shot.

Traffic tickets topics