Can a parolee claim lottery winnings?

Asked over 1 year ago - Niagara Falls, NY

Conditions state to stay out of casinos. It may say to stay out of gaming establishments.

1. Celia R Reed

1

Answered . It depends whether your parole terms prohibit you from buying lottery tickets.

2. Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Pro

2

Answered . It will depend both on the terms of your parole and how your jurisdiction defines lotteries and gaming establishments. The New York State Gaming Commission and the New York State Division of the Lottery would be the best sources of information as to how lotteries are defined (are they a "gaming device" as they are in some states, or are they separately regulated?) But that's only half the question. The other half is ensuring that the terms of your parole allow it. For that, you can ask your PO or if you had an attorney that represented you in your criminal case or parole hearing, you could ask them as well.

I am linking below the NYS Division of the Lottery statutes. Best of luck.