Can a parolee claim lottery winnings?

Niagara Falls, NY |

Conditions state to stay out of casinos. It may say to stay out of gaming establishments.

1. It depends whether your parole terms prohibit you from buying lottery tickets.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

2. It will depend both on the terms of your parole and how your jurisdiction defines lotteries and gaming establishments. The New York State Gaming Commission and the New York State Division of the Lottery would be the best sources of information as to how lotteries are defined (are they a "gaming device" as they are in some states, or are they separately regulated?) But that's only half the question. The other half is ensuring that the terms of your parole allow it. For that, you can ask your PO or if you had an attorney that represented you in your criminal case or parole hearing, you could ask them as well.

I am linking below the NYS Division of the Lottery statutes. Best of luck.

The author is a Maryland attorney; however no answer given on Avvo is intended as legal advice or intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Dan's expertise lies in the electronic entertainment (video game) industry, as well as complex internet law issues, electronic free speech, entertainment law, copyright and trademark law, and computer fraud. He primarily represents game developers and founders of emergent internet technologies.