Can a parking lot cop at a university write me a ticket A) without seeing me, and B) if they specifically target me.

Altoona, PA |
Filed under: Parking tickets

I just parked at school and was literally there under 3 minutes. As I was parking, the campus security had passed my lot and were walking towards another. There were two or three of them when I first saw them. Then, when I came back, all three were behind my car and I had a ticket. It appears that the first two walked back and (if the third one wasn't already with them) all talked about how they had just seen a college-looking student park in the visitors only parking. These are student officers if that helps. Is this targeting me? There are hundreds of cars and I am 100% positive they had passed my space, and lot. Why would they have come back to inspect my car? Anything else you can tell me would be helpful.

1. With the way you tell it, they weren't after you personally, but were after a parking violator who happens to have been you. I doubt that you will get much leverage from this, if any.

Assuming that you knew that students weren't allowed to park there, you parked in a place you knew you shouldn't park...You might want to just pay the ticket and not park there again.

The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney for specific help tailored to your needs. www.figgardenlaw.com

2. In the absence of information regarding the actual driver, parking tickets are issued against the registered owner of the vehicle. If the owner wishes to present a a defense that someone else was using the vehicle at the time the ticket was issued, they can request a hearing and come forward with their proof. If you were observed by officers as a student who parked in a spot reserved for visitors, you may have been targeted. That is good police work, not the basis for a valid defense. Pay the ticket and next time, don't park in the visitor's spot.

3. Of course they were targeting you, you had apparently parked in a spot not designated for you. Why would the officer target a car parked correctly? It doesn't matter one iota why they came back to your car, if you were parked illegally you can be ticketed. If you weren't parked illegally, I suspect your post would say something different.

Traffic tickets topics