Can a parent who has custody move & refuse to give the other parent the new address? Mom moved less than 50 miles away.

Asked 9 months ago - Pembroke Pines, FL

This "relocation" issue is based in Broward county, FL. Father does not know where his child was moved to but suspects that it is less than 50 miles from his house. He pays child support and has visitation rights but Mother refuses to provide new address because she is upset that judge ordered for them to sell the house they used to live in. I found FL Statute 61.13001 and 61.13 but are these statutes the ones that we should quote when requesting the "new home address" of the minor child??

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Arica Lynn Braaten


    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . I would want to look at the final judgment, but if the move is less than 50 miles than the relocation statute wouldn't be applicable. I'm guessing you have shared parental responsibility. Your ex-wife cannot refuse to give you the new address. You have a right to know where the child sleeps at night. I would request the new address is writing and let her know that you'll be filing a motion if you don't have the information by X date.

    Legal disclaimer: Ms. Braaten's answer to your question does not establish an attorney client relationship, but... more
  2. Tami Lane Augen


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . You have a right to know the address, put the request in writing to the other side and if she does not respond, then file a motion and ask for fees and sanctions. Best of luck.

    This answer is for general informational purposes only and should not be relied upon for your particular case nor... more
  3. Betty Elaine Jones

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . You have a right to know the address of your child. This is something that the family law court requires whether the parties want to or not. There are exceptions in the case of domestic violence but as a whole, both parents are to know where their child is when he/she is with the other parent.

    B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,704 answers this week

3,297 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,704 answers this week

3,297 attorneys answering