Skip to main content

Can a parent sign over rights to an unborn child?

Lexington, KY |

The babys dad wrote on a piece of paper stating he wished to sign his rights away wanting nothing to do with the child. The paper was notarized does this make this document legal?

Attorney Answers 1


For a parent to give up all responsibility for a child, the parent should seek a court order.

The piece of paper in question would not absolve the father from being responsible to pay child support, for example.

Mark as helpful

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics